Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Live Peace in Brooklyn





















Yoko Ono, an acquired taste to be sure. One that puts you in a very different place than where you started, that's for sure. And that's the intent. Since her performance art is all about taking you spatially out of your comfort zone -- and everyone from me to Eric Clapton and back felt that Tuesday night at the Brooklyn Academy of Music -- I guess I'll just go with that flow.

--Were the four days of snow that hit the metropolitan area just part of her work? The frosty white images and sturdy, dangerous but glassy-looking ice patches seem to be in direct proportion to songs like "Don't Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking for Her Hand in the Snow)" and "Walking in Thin Ice." I'm not for sure that this wasn't Yoko's doing.

--Is the guy sitting in front of me with his combover blocking my view part of the art? It seemed twice as likely to be true when I moved a seat to the left after Act 1 and there was a woman, a smaller version but with her hair gelled up so high it seemed to be a combover as well.

--The guy emitting noxious fumes to my right definitely better not be part of the act.

--Power zoning. That's what Yoko's songs can do to you. You're powerless, she has all the power. She knows and revels in it.

--That band, led by Sean Lennon (who in beard and hat looks uncannily like his father), is fun-ky. This is like Concert for George, where Dhani Harrison looked so much like his dad that you couldn't stop looking. I gotta admit feeling eerie and a tiny bit of the ick factor as he prods Mummy on.

--Over the course of the show, she reaches for a water bottle with her left hand. Is this intentional or is she just thirsty?

--Yoko sings of hearing fish calling from the ocean. I really think I can hear them.

--Bottoms up. The famous "Bottoms" video which photographs, obviously, cheeks was ever-present. Even in the bathroom there was a poster of the grainy black-and-white imagery.

--Second act ... a diverse collection of musicians pay tribute. The Scissor Sisters lose themselves in "The Sun Is Down" ... Justin Bond does a very humorous take on "What a Bastard the World Is" ... Sean channels dad for "Oh Yoko" with Gene Ween ... Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore artfully hacksaw "Mulberry" in cadence with Yoko ... Bette Midler, who made her own fluffy arrangement, thrills the masses with "Yes, I'm Your Angel" ... Sean's best friend and his dad (Harper and Paul Simon) do nice guitar duets to "Silverhorse" and "Hold On."

--Yoko ... Eric Clapton ... Klaus Voormann. The first time the three Plastic Ono band members have been on stage together in 37 years. It's a joy to see Eric out of his comfort zone and his playing -- spectacular on "Yer Blues" and "Don't Worry Kyoko" and just out of this world on the song they hadn't even rehearsed, "Death of Samantha" -- is a sight to behold. ... Sean talks of Eric giving him quick guitar lessons before the show on how his dad used to play the songs. Yoko tells stories that I didn't hear and/or understand. Eric didn't seem to either. I feel better.

--Everyone ... except EC unless my vantage point to the far left prevented me from seeing him ... comes back on stage. They and we sing "Give Peace a Chance," with an additional "Happy Birthday" to boot.

So glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment