Thursday, June 11, 2009

You're old school ... and engaged!

First show of the 2009 Clapton/Winwood Tour and, once again, it was in my backyard. This time at the former Continental Airlines Arena, a place that was my home away from home when my beloved New Jersey Devils played there.

A few things had changed since the previous tour incarnation. Namely, I had met Mark while hanging with some Clapton friends prior to, during and after his Jones Beach show a year ago. We have been to many many concerts since, but we had never sat together for an EC show.

I considered the MSG shows to be in the upper echelon of concerts I've ever seen, and I was expecting a lot this time around. Didn't know if there would be setlist changes (there was some tweakage) or how the addition of backup singers would affect the balance (not too harshly as it turns out, but still unnecessary).

"Had to Cry Today" was a nice opener, but it wasn't until the fifth song ("Presence of the Lord") that everything started to come together. Truth be told, it wasn't a lot like the MSG dates. That had a different vibe, and only "Presence," "Glad/Well Alright," "Pearly Queen" and the first part of "Can't Find My Way Home" (done acoustically instead of electrically this time) seemed to be in that vein. (I jammed out to "Well Alright," and I'm convinced that Steve was looking my way at the time -- as Park found out during its time on stage with Mick Fleetwood -- it's pretty easy to see the audience four rows away ... although he may have been looking at a tall blonde behind me. ;))

A lot of that came from the change in drummers, I feel, from the more retro-sounding Ian Thomas at MSG to the hard-hitting Abe Laboriel Jr. MSG's show-stopper "Voodoo Chile" took on a more palpable drum feel, even "Little Wing" did as well -- and the latter featured the most incendiary solo of the night via Mr. Clapton. (It also provided for a couple humorous moments when I flicked a Bic lighter during the song and two different fans approached me to say I was showing my appreciation "old school," like in the days of yore.)

By contrast, "After Midnight," "Tell the Truth" and the crowd favorite of the night, acoustic "Layla" were serviceable, but not particularly memorable. The Buddy Miles tribute from MSG, "Them Changes" was changed to one for legendary blues guitarist Hubert Sumlin ("Tough Luck Blues") without missing a beat.

Winwood's Traffic numbers "Pearly Queen" and "Dear Mr. Fantasy" came off well, and as EC did in his recent Allman Brothers stint, his style is beautifully suited to those numbers. In turn, Winwood delivered some great vocal chops while trading vocals with Clapton on "Forever Man" and even "Cocaine."

EC seemed almost resigned to do his solo number, "Driftin'," even slouching into his seat after Winwood brought the house down with his solo signature song "Georgia on My Mind." But as usual, Clapton punctuated the acoustic version with notes that resonated strongly throughout the building.

The crowd was appreciative throughout, and for the first time since those MSG shows, there didn't seem to be any conflict between fans who wanted to dance their way through the set and those who wanted to just sit and soak it all in.

The festivities ended surprisingly ... for me at least, when my man proposed following the final notes of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and the crowd's roar of approval. After I regained consciousness, I was given a Ring Pop (orange, yummy) and the option to choose my own ring. A most engaging end to a wonderful night at the ... OK, I can finally say it ... Izod Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment